Last week, I had a post about whether or not to delete Kindle titles from your Kindles after you were finished reading them (you can click here or type in http://bit.ly/J4Tga1 into your computer’s web browser to see this post again or if you missed it).
After this post, I received several questions from folks asking “how do you permanently delete a Kindle title” so that you never see it again?
There may be times when you want to delete items from your Kindle permanently – in other words, never to be seen again as if you had thrown the book out in the trash. I’m not talking about just from your Kindle, but permanently from your Amazon records so that you can’t ever download it again. Forever.
Many of you may be wondering, “why would I want to do that?”
You can probably think of other reasons, but I can think of two reasons off the top of my head:
- Your children, significant other, or someone else can also access your account with their Kindle or Kindle for PC / iPhone application, and you do not want them to know what you have been reading – maybe it’s a lusty romance, “How to Spy on Your Lover,” or any other book you may not want them to read. For example, if you’re a parent you want to be able to monitor what your children are reading.
- You downloaded a book you thought was one thing, realized later it was something else, and you never want to see it again. For example, that would be a situation I would find myself in if I downloaded one of the Harlequin romances – they are just not my thing. Additionally, Amazon utilizes what is in your list of books to market to you: I have some experience with this one, as I received some really strange recommendations for a particular genre after I bought a Kindle book that I thought was one thing but turned out to be another (enough said on that one). Once I permanently deleted the title I thought was causing this particular point of targeted marketing, those recommendations disappeared for good.
To make a long story short, if you would like to permanently delete a title from your Kindle’s account, here are the steps you need to perform:
- First, remove the title from your Kindle.
- Second, go to the “Manage Your Kindle” section of the Amazon web page at http://www.amazon.com/myk
- In this section, locate the item in the search bar just below the “Your Kindle Library” header. If you have lots of books, for example, in your library it will take some time for all of them to load.
- Once you have located the title, click the “Actions” icon located to the right of the title..
- Choose the “Delete from library” option.
- A confirmation pop-up will appear next, asking if you are sure you want to delete this title. Assuming you really want to delete it, select the “Yes” option.
A word of caution – if you delete the title, and want to read it again, you will have to buy it again!
Hope that helps-
Want to have this blog sent wirelessly to your Kindle vs. reading it on your computer? Try out the free two-week subscription! Click here for the Amazon page for Free Kindle Books Plus a Few Other Tips or type in http://www.tinyurl.com/fkblog into your computer’s web browser.
Check out my Kindle Fire guide, Kindle Fire How-To Guide: Your Guide to Tips, Tricks, Free Books, and Startup. You can check it out if you click here or type in http://amzn.to/firebook into your computer’s web browser.
Posted in: Kindle Tips